In Maths, Year 2 have been learning about length. Length is how long something is, its longest dimension.
Year 2 have:
- made their own tape measures and rulers using informal units (hand prints and cubes)
- measured objects using informal units (paddle pop sticks, cubes etc)
- compared two or more objects according to their lengths
- measured objects and lines using metre rulers and 30 cm rulers
- found out that a metre can be a curved line
- recorded lengths using cm and m
- estimated lengths and then checked by measuring
Take a look at the great Year 2 mathematicians working hard in the photos below!
Click on the image below to play a game about length!
Year 2 have also been working towards their goal – improving recall of basic addition facts to 20 by practising:
- friends of ten
- near doubles
- +10 facts
- +9 facts
- +0 facts
- + 1 facts
How are you working towards your goal?
What did you like best while learning about length?
What do you need to remember when you are using a ruler?
Challenge: use a ruler to measure objects around the house and record their length in a comment below!